In 2011 the voters in the school district passed a class B-Bond of $28,000,000.00 to provide funding to build, remodel and upgrade district facilities. A list of priorities was provided at the time of the election. Listed below you can see the list of projects planned for the first bond issuance and an update on each project.
1. Glen F. Burton Elementary School Addition -The district will use part of the bond funds to construct a new classroom wing building and administration offices building. The project was awarded as a construction Manager at risk delivery method, with EMC2 Architects and Core Construction, Inc. being awarded the design phase services. The project is estimated to cost approximately $2.2 million. Project is In-Progress.
2. Replace Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Equipment at Challenger, Horizon and Landmark Schools - New HVAC equipment will be installed at the schools that includes a new high energy conservation chiller, fan coils and heat pumps at the schools. Project is In-Progress.
3. Leveling and Repair of Playground Fields – Due to the extensive use and overall condition, playground fields at several schools will be repaired and leveled for improved drainage and a better turf surface. The schools being addressed in the first bond issuance include: Bi-Centennial North, Bi-centennial South, Landmark and Melvin Sine schools. Phase II of the project will include the same repairs at Horizon, Coyote Ridge, Challenger and Desert Spirit schools in the summer of 2013. COMPLETED.
4. Replace Playground Equipment at Landmark Middle School - Due to wear and tear over the years, the existing playground equipment is in need of replacement. New equipment, including a shade canopy will be installed to provide students with a safe recreation area. COMPLETED.
5. Additional non-bond projects underway in 2012 include the addition of new student drop off lanes and parking at Bi-Centennial North, Glen F. Burton and Issac Imes elementary schools. COMPLETED.