Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (20 U.S.C. §§1681 et seq.) prohibits sex discrimination in education and in employment.
The Glendale Elementary School District No. 40 (“the District”) does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.
Any person that believes they have been harassed or discriminated against based on his/her sex can file a complaint by contacting the District’s Title IX Coordinator.Title IX
- Federal civil rights law, passed as part of the Education Amendment Act of 1972.
- This law protects individuals from discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities that receive Federal financial assistance.
- Under Title IX “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
- Title IX applies to any institution receiving federal financial assistance from the Department of Education, including state and local educational agencies.
- Educational programs and activities that receive federal funds from the Department of Education must operate in a nondiscriminatory manner.
- A recipient may not retaliate against any person for opposing an unlawful educational practice or policy, or because a person made charges, testified or participated in any complaint action under Title IX.
Sexual harassment, under Title IX, is conduct on the basis of sex that is one or more of the following:
- A school employee conditions the provision of an aid, benefit, or service of the school on an individual’s participation in unwelcome sexual conduct;
- Unwelcome conduct that a reasonable person would find to be so severe, pervasive, and objectively offensive that it “effectively denies a person equal access” to the school’s education program or activity; or
- Sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking.
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR TITLE IX COORDINATOR:
Coordinator for Title IX
7301 North 58th Avenue
Glendale, AZ 85301