The Glendale Elementary School District Governing Board consists of five members, each of whom resides within the school district and is elected to a four-year term. Governing Board members serve voluntarily, and at the pleasure of GESD voters. School board elections are held in conjunction with state and federal elections every two years.
By law, the Governing Board sets District policies and has final authority over all school district business. The District’s superintendent is appointed by the Governing Board and is charged with the execution of Board policy. The superintendent works closely with the administrative staff when developing recommendations for Board consideration.
Unless announced otherwise, Governing Board meetings are held at the District Office located at 7301 N. 58th Ave., Glendale, AZ 85301.
Public Participation at Board Meetings
Members of the public are invited to attend meetings of the Board. The Board is subject to Arizona's Open Meeting
Law, which limits discussion to those subjects included on the agenda for each meeting. Any individual may comment by completing a request form available at each meeting. A completed form can be submitted to any administrator, Board member or the Board’s assistant who will forward it to the presiding officer of the meeting. The individual will be invited to speak during the Call to the Public. Speakers are limited to three minutes.
Because the Glendale Elementary School District respects the voices of its parents, staff and community members, the Board welcomes guests to its bi-monthly meetings where opinions and ideas can be expressed.
Study sessions are held as needed for the purpose of studying one or more specific issues in depth. No action is taken during a study session. The public is invited to attend. Notification of study sessions is posted at all sites and on the district’s website.
Executive sessions are occasionally scheduled to handle specific Board business matters, which include personnel, legal matters and property purchases. An executive session is closed to the public, but any official action on executive session items is taken during regular Board meetings.
Where are agendas posted?
The Governing Board shall hold a regular meeting at least once each month during the regular school year and may hold other meetings as often as called. The Board's meetings through June 30, 2020 are scheduled as follows:
- 5:00 p.m. Thursday, April 11, 2019
- 5:00 p.m. Thursday, April 25, 2019 – Special Meeting
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, May 9, 2019
- 5:00 p.m. Thursday, May 23, 2019 – Special Meeting
- 4:00 p.m. Thursday, June 13, 2019
- 4:00 p.m. Thursday, June 27, 2019 – Special Meeting Meeting Vacated
- 4:00 p.m. Thursday, July 11, 2019
- 4:00 p.m. Thursday, July 25, 2019 - Special Meeting
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, August 8, 2019
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, August 22, 2019 – Special Meeting
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, September 12, 2019
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, September 26, 2019 - Special Meeting
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, October 17, 2019 Moved to October 14
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, November 7, 2019
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, November 21, 2019 Meeting Vacated
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, December 12 2019
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, January 9, 2020
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, January 23, 2020 – Special Meeting
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, February 6, 2020
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, February 20, 2020 – Special Meeting
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, March 5, 2020
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, March 26, 2020 – Special Meeting
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 9, 2020
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 23, 2020 – Special Meeting
- 5:30 p.m. Thursday, May 14, 2020
- 4:00 p.m. Thursday, May 28, 2020 – Special Meeting
- 4:00 p.m. Thursday, June 11, 2020
- 4:00 p.m. Thursday, June 25, 2020 – Special Meeting
All meeting dates and times are subject to change. Meeting dates and times can be verified on the District's Events Calendar online or by calling (623) 237-7136. Unless otherwise posted, all meetings are held in the Glendale Elementary District Office Board Room located at 7301 N. 58th Avenue. Meetings will conclude by 9:00 p.m. unless the majority of Board members present vote to extend the meeting beyond that time. Special meetings may be called for study sessions and for in-depth review and discussion of specific topics and information related to the operations of the school district. Workshops may be scheduled for the purpose of conducting Board Member training and development. Agendas are posted at least 24 hours in advance and are also posted on this page of our website.
According to Arizona Revised Statute (A.R.S.) 38-431.02 (2) - Notice of Meetings:
(a) Conspicuously post a statement on their website stating where all public notices of their meetings will be posted, including the physical and electronic locations, and shall give additional public notice as is reasonable and practicable as to all meetings.
(b) Post all public meeting notices on their website and give additional public notice as is reasonable and practicable as to all meetings. A technological problem or failure that either prevents the posting of public notices on a website or that temporarily or permanently prevents the use of all or part of the website does not preclude the holding of the meeting for which the notice was posted if the public body complies with all other public notice requirements required by this section.
The District official posting site is located in the front outside entrance to the District Office building at 7301 North 58th Avenue, Glendale, Arizona 85301.
Is there an opportunity for public comment at meetings?
The public is welcome to make comments during the "Call to the Public" portion of the meeting. If you would like to participate, please fill out the request to speak form and give to the Governing Board Secretary, prior to the start of the meeting. Comments are limited to three minutes. By law, the Governing Board cannot respond to concerns expressed but may refer you to the Superintendent or appropriate administrator for assistance.
All regular and special meetings are open to the public. Executive sessions are closed to the public.