Horizon Dress Code and InformationPosted by Susan Hallas on 10/2/2017
Student Dress Code Introduction GESD believes appropriate dress leads to a positive community, supports an environment conducive to learning, and helps students achieve success in adult life.
Accessories Jewelry is allowed to be worn to school within the following limitations: Visible piercings are only allowed in the ears. Tongue piercings are not allowed. Earrings must be studs or hoops no larger than 1/2 inch. All others must be removed during the school day and during school activities. Gauged earrings need to be black, brown, or flesh colored and not spiked.
- Bracelets may be worn as long as they are not spiked, or studded
- Hats and sunglasses may be worn on campus when outside
- Bandanas, hairnet, and do-rags are not an acceptable part of student dress
- Belts need to be run through the belt loops and not spiked or studded
- Religious exceptions to dress code may be allowed
- As with dress, hairstyles should not interfere with the learning environment or school activities
Bottoms Students may wear jeans or slacks. Shorts, skirts or skorts are expected to reach no more than four inches above the knee. Pants and shorts are to be worn at the waist and belts need to be worn if necessary to hold clothing in its proper position. Undergarments need to be covered including leggings and jeggings. Sweat pants may be worn, however, pajama bottoms are not acceptable.
Students may wear T-shirts, button down or polo style shirts. Tube tops, strapless, fish net spaghetti straps, midriff, see through material, and razorback style shirts are not appropriate for school dress. Shirts may not contain the following:
- Obscene/profane statements or pictures
- Drug/alcohol/tobacco related statements or pictures
- Hate messages or slogans
- Messages about death, gangs, or violence
- Undergarments need to be covered
Students are required to wear closed toed shoes that are secured to the foot. The shoe can be secured by Velcro or black or white laces (no colors). Students are not to wear sandals, flip flops, slippers or shoes with heels.
No sagging of clothing is allowed. Clothing must be appropriately sized (not more than one size too small or too large). Bottoms must fit and be worn at the waist and not drag on the ground. Students not dressed in accordance with the dress code may be subject to disciplinary actions as described on page 17.
In regards to jeans and other bottoms:
Holes in Jeans: Holes in jeans may be worn to school provided none of the holes are 4 inches above the knee.
Leggings/Jeggings/Yoga pants: Leggings may be worn if your bottom is covered up with a long shirt or dress.